Testimonies as a result of praying for the Holy Spirit
„This is the word of the Lord …: Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit“ Zechariah 4:6 NKJV
„This is the word of the Lord …: Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit“ Zechariah 4:6 NKJV
127. How “Steps to Personal Revival” has Changed my Life – Testimony by Dwight Nelson
Last August a young man at the British Columbia camp meeting where I was preaching, gave me a book. I’d never seen the book before nor had I ever heard of the author—but the man told me there were over 600,000 copies of the book circulating the world in 29 languages. Little did I know this short book would end up dramatically changing my life—the way I pray, the way I preach, the way I relate to others—it has changed my ministry.
In all my years of schooling, preaching and teaching, nobody ever told me or taught me that the Bible and Ellen White teach us to DAILY petition God for a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit. How could I have gone this far through pastoring and preaching and never learned so compelling a truth!
But that’s what Helmut Haubeil’s book Steps to Personal Revival has taught me. By the time I returned home from that camp meeting I had read the book—in fact I have now read it four times. And my life is changed—you can ask the woman I live with and the people I pastor.
For years I have preached on receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit—series of sermons on this vital theme. But now I’ve discovered a way to meet with Jesus every morning and do just as He did every morning with the Father—ask for a fresh baptism of His Spirit.
Humbly I testify that God has raised the bar on my prayer life. I used to spend much time in the Word and a comparatively short time in actual prayer. Now my practice is reversed—I spend much time on my knees in my early morning prayer closet in communion with God and then turn to His Word for His communication with me.
My preaching has gained a new freedom and intensity. My leadership with my team and my people has been raised to another level. Suddenly coincidences (what one writer calls synchronicity) are multiplying—it’s as if someone is orchestrating my days and nights, my “chance” meetings and emails and conversations. It’s as if the Holy Spirit is personally directing my waking hours (even my sleeping ones). In fact, I’ve come to know Him as a very personal and truly dear Friend.
Why am I telling you this? I have nothing to gain from this testimony—but I am deeply convicted that you do. Jesus is coming soon. We still have a world, an entire generation, to reach with the everlasting gospel. We simply cannot accomplish that mission on our own. Our only hope is to learn what Jesus knew, to practice what Paul and the first disciples lived. We must have the DAILY baptism of the Holy Spirit upon our lives and ministry. And the only way we will have it is if we humbly daily ask for it.
I don’t know who you are, but I am praying for you as I write this. The promised Gift is yours and mine for the asking. After all didn’t Jesus promise us: “If you then who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who [Greek—daily, continually] ask Him” (Luke 11:13)? Won’t you join me in that daily asking. Dwight Nelson is senior pastor of Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University in Berrien Springs, USA
128. The Miracle of Spiritual Healing
One morning I saw a book called Steps to Personal Revival: Being Filled with the Holy Spirit by Helmut Haubeil. As I read the book, I realized that I rarely pled for the Holy Spirit in my life. Yes, I attended church, had daily devotions and even gave some Bible studies, but I felt as though my personal walk with Christ lacked depth. I felt disconnected. I saw answers to my prayers, but I wanted more.
Up to this point, I had experienced the Lord working in my life, sustaining me through another bout of major depression, and at my darkest moment, an attempted suicide. You see, I grew up in a highly dysfunctional and abusive home. I have been estranged from my father for years, but recently, after he suffered a serious illness and extended hospital stay, we had a conversation on the phone. He sensed that he was at the end of his life and, for the first time in nearly 60 years, he apologized to me for the abuse and neglect that he inflicted on our family. Instead of making things better, however, our conversation brought to mind all of the pain I had experienced. I had very little relational support in my life at that time, and I simply gave up on life and decided to end it all. But God preserved me and began healing me of these wounds.
It was at this time that I was led to Steps to Personal Revival. The powerful little book walked me through the steps of how to be filled with the Holy Spirit. What a change this has made in my life. Now I ask daily to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and I can’t wait to see what God will do next in my life. This is particularly difficult for me to do—to ask, wait on the Lord, and trust in His faithfulness—especially since I grew up in such a dysfunctional home. But I am learning to trust my Heavenly Father, and this trust is replacing my inherent need to be in control in order to protect myself from pain. There has been a deep sense of freedom in Christ and letting Him lead me each day. I am so thankful for the tools in the book that have directed me to the gift of the Holy Spirit. Now I find that when I read my Bible the words jump out and speak directly into my heart. It is not just Bible reading, but a personal communion and growing relationship with Christ. God is giving me the deeper experience that I desired!
I had been working through the process of genuinely forgiving my father, and I thought I had made progress. But when I started reading the book, the Holy Spirit revealed to me deep-seated resentment that I thought I dealt with. It is easy for us to hold on to anger in order to feel justified for wrongs that have been done to us, but I learned that I couldn’t cherish these feelings and still receive the fullness of the Spirit. I had to choose to surrender them. By God’s grace, I began to sense pity for my father as a lost person, and I began praying earnestly for his salvation. Not long after, he called my sister and through his tears, told her, “Jesus loves me, Jesus loves me.” He shared that he’d been reading through the Gospel of John and was deeply impressed that Jesus died personally for him. Anyone who knows the man would say that this is not like him at all. God is answering my prayers in a powerful way!
I recently ordered 10 additional books and gave them to members of my church who said they’ve been praying to be filled with the Holy Spirit, too. I’ve seen Steps to Personal Revival enrich their lives. How many of us go through the motions of being a Christian without connecting to the power? I fear there are many of us who go to church looking like we are good Christians outwardly, yet on the inside we are empty. I am beginning to experience the promise that God can do exceedingly abundantly above all that we can ask or think.
Are you struggling with the same things that I was? God can fill you with His Spirit and bring real healing into your life. He can do the same thing for you that He did for me!
Prayer Letter Nr. 148, May 20.-27. 2018 Prayer Ministry of the General Conference
129. A Pastoral Blog
Because a loving heavenly Father would find no pleasure in catching His children by surprise. Rather, one would suppose He would do everything in His power to prepare His children for the coming cataclysm. No wonder He offers you and me the most exquisite and essential Gift of all! How did Jesus put it? “‘If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him” (Luke 11:13).
Our blue skies notwithstanding, the world’s a mess. God longs to reach this civilization one more time. He needs you and me. Which is why we need His offer of a daily baptism with the Holy Spirit. He’s running out of a time. Won’t you please join me in praying for that baptism every day? How? Listen carefully to what we discover in this new miniseries. (You find the miniserie „How to be baptized with the Holy Spirit at www. Steps-to-personal-revival.info – Dwight Nelson)
I don’t remember ever seeing so much interest in such a little book! And I don’t believe it’s because the book is free. I am convicted there is a deep soul hunger and thirst in my faith community for something Jesus called “the baptism of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 1:5). How else can you explain why Helmut Haubeil’s short book, Steps to personal Revival – Being filled with the Holy Spirit? Was downloaded a 1000 times this week. And I tell you the truth—I have already begun to see a marked difference in people who are taking up his invitation to seek for the baptism of the Holy Spirit every day. The power clearly isn’t in the book—but in the Giver of the Gift that many are now seeking.
Near the end of Haubeil’s book he offers a “model prayer with promises for the daily renewing of the Holy Spirit.” I invite you to read that prayer right now—and if your heart is impressed, turn right around and pray this prayer as your own. You find the prayer at chapter 5
I invite you to print off or cut out this prayer and place it where you meet with God every morning. It may feel a bit mechanical at first, but read the prayer, say the prayer, and in a few days it will become your own prayer, too.
After all, Jesus promises: “Ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you” (Luke 11:9). Which means every day you and I ask, the Gift is ours, the one Gift that “brings all other blessings” in the universe with it (Desire of Ages 672)!
I’ve been praying for 100 people on this campus and in this community who will daily ask God for the fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit. Will you please help me answer that prayer? And then imagine what God is going to do around here!
Dwight Nelsonn www.pmchurch.tv blog Aug.30 + Sept.13, 2017
130. Washington Conference / USAS to the Churches: Let us seek the Holy Spirit together! – “Steps to Personal Revival” is a great little book. It will encourage you to seek one of God’s greatest gifts, the Holy Spirit. We value this 116-page book so much that we provide a book for free to the first 500 who sign up. You can also print it for free at www.steps-to-personal-revival.info
131. … I understand the Holy Spirit better now – I read the brochure “Steps to Personal Revival” in French. I read them again together with “40 Days Prayers and Prayers to Prepare for the Second Coming”. I am blessed by this and now understand the Holy Spirit better and also understand how he can work in my life. I am determined to be filled with God’s Holy Spirit and pray for it daily. I appeal to the promise of Jesus to give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him. J.L. French Guyana / South America
132. Double blessed by passing – What incredible blessings I have received from reading this book! Every morning during our devotional time, I deliver the content to our mission school students. By preparing and passing on, I am blessed twice as much as you. In God’s kingdom, it always works like this: the giver always receives more than the recipient. D. K. Bolivia / South America
133. Young people pray at 5:30 in the morning – I just wanted to let you know that we now have about 20,000 copies of “Steps to Personal Revival” in Australia have distributed. The feedback was incredible: one of our conference presidents gave his 18-year-old son a booklet. This changed his life. Therefore, he distributed more than 200 copies to the classmates of his son in high school. Some of these young people are already praying for the Holy Spirit at 5:30 in the morning. C.H. Australia
134. Revival causes mission – Call from a sister from Australia: She had received the booklet “Steps to Personal Revival” at a prayer conference in Brisbane. Reading changed her life. Now she wants to have the booklet for the leaders and church members in Sri Lanka. She will contact the local leaders to conduct Holy Spirit Seminars and also to print the brochure for the 3000 church members there. C.H. Australia.
(In addition, another brother has come to Sri Lanka from Australia with the result that the booklet is now being translated into Singhalese and Tamil).
135. Healed of years of depression – I would like to explain how I came to the booklet “Steps to Personal Revival”. I was born in an Adventist family. But I was in the community for the last time in 1993. Soon afterward, worldly life fascinated me, which lasted for 18 years. I worked in the Ministry of Health for more than 20 years. Then on November 28, 2015, I got a severe depression and had to give up my position. Because I wanted to overcome the disease, I decided to return to faith. I joined a new Methodist church nearby, but found no solution. I stayed at home for two years.
In June 2017, during my prayer, I felt that God is saying to me, “Get dressed and
go to the street “. When I was outside, I asked, “Where should I go?” “To the first woman you meet.” I passed many houses. Then I saw a woman coming out of her house. I felt the certainty that I was to address her. We talked for a while, then she invited me into her house. She is an Adventist. She told me, that they have just completed a seminar on the Holy Spirit in their church. After a while she showed me the brochure “Steps to Personal Revival”. When I read the title, I immediately knew that is exactly what I miss. Fact: after reading and starting the booklet, I was constantly o pray the Holy Spirit, my mental illness was healed. I thank the Holy Spirit for his guidance, for his love, kindness and goodness. Letter from J.D. Fiji Islands cut short
136. Victories that I never thought possible
1. Testimony, June 26, 2017: … I have read your book “Steps to Personal Revival” three times. I never thought that I would find such new knowledge about prayer – praying, based on God’s promises, as you explained. In the meantime, God has given me victories in my life that I never thought possible. – I was invited to preach at a camp meeting. Your book gave me the topic.
2. Testimony, July 25, 2017: … Since I started reading your book (I’ve read it 6 times as recommended in the book) and since I learned to pray with promises, my life has been transformed. … The Lord led me to prepare a sermon on our greatest need for the camp meeting: the refreshing showers of the Spirit of God. In all the years I have dedicated to the service of God, I have never felt the power of the Holy Spirit as intense as it has moved the 3,000 participants in this auditorium. – My wife has noticed a complete change in me. Also, I’m surprised about myself. F.S. shortened, US-Pastor and Union Department Leader I.R.
137. 40-day concept: 15 baptisms in the first year – Pastor M.M. had a great missionary experience in South Africa with 40-day books by Dennis Smith (R&H). When he returned to Switzerland, he immediately began to work with this concept in groups. In the first year there were 15 baptisms. – A lady regularly attended the service for 15 years. During the 40 days, she decided to baptize. [Lugano, Italian-speaking area of Switzerland – very secular] M.M. MB47,17
138. Youth: The result was absolutely incredible – I am the Youth Secretary of the South Queensland Association [12,200 members] in Australia. A young woman gave me “steps to personal revival”. The content blew me away. It was precisely the theme that God had placed in the hearts of my husband and my own: the awakening to the life of the Holy Spirit. I could tell a lot of experiences. We were very blessed by this booklet. Our head of personal services gave us 300 pieces, which we forwarded to the youth leaders at the youth leaders meeting of our association. The result was absolutely incredible. I would like to have 150 pieces to study at our Big Camp this year. A.v.R. slightly shortened from Australia
139. Report from the Burundi Union / East Africa [then 130,000 members, now 170,000]
Burundi Union Secretary Paul Irakoze said that 100,000 copies of the book “Personal Awakening” were printed and distributed in Kirundi, including to leaders and pastors. Some highlights from his report:
– Due to the influence of the booklet, 320 former members returned to the Adventist church. They were received in March 2017 through a new baptism.
– Some deaf people read the booklet three times – Then they shared their experiences with other deaf people. Result: In March 2017, 25 deaf people were baptized.
– Prisoners – We have distributed the booklet to our members in Mpimba Prison. They were moved by the Holy Spirit and began to share their faith. On the last Sabbath, 21 prisoners were baptized, and another 35 are preparing for baptism.
– Study Week / Week of Prayer – In October 2017, he announced: The 850 communities / groups would from 4.-11. Hold a prayer week on Nov., studying “Steps to Personal Revival”. The sermons of the Union Secretary on this subject were also broadcast on Adventist Radio every evening. Result: Valuable Week of Prayer, answered prayers, fulfillment with the Holy Spirit and many members experienced a conversion. Pastors are grateful that they can now do their ministry in the Holy Spirit.
140. Steps book found at www.revivalandreformation.org of the General Conference – I was blessed by the book “Steps to Personal Revival” It has been a touching experience for me to read this book, my life has changed, and after having read it several times in three months, I have shared this message with several churches. I have also passed the soft copy of the book on to all pastors at the Conference Pastors’ Meeting [Conference 80,000 members].
I found the book on the website “Revival and Reformation” of the General Conference. I was looking for valuable thoughts for a revival seminar. There I found the book in Swahili and used it in the seminar. It was a great experience for me. I pray that the same fire will reach every leader and every pastor and all the members of our church. L.M. 08072019 from Tanzania / East Africa – shortened
141. I struggled in my marriage life – I praise God for He is opening my eyes spiritually since I read the Steps to Personal Revival booklet. I am not the same Christian. As an Adventist, I thought I already had Christian experience with the Lord, but really I felt deep down something was lacking. I struggled in my marriage life to have a good relationship with my husband who is also SDA. These days, we are praying together daily and encouraging each other to attend church. – In a short space of time my life is changing by the power of the Holy Spirit. I regret not finding the booklet earlier, as I saw it
published in 2011? How soon would blessings from above have come to my life and my family, all the missed opportunities, and lives lost, because of my blindness, I regret. I pray forgiveness and strength from God to do His will. I.M. 090518
142. Revival causes Mission – I am 36 years old now. Also, I have been the only Adventist in my workplace for the last 5 years. This year I had 5 new positions open in my team. Of the 5 new staff, 2 are Adventists, while another, I soon found out, that we both were baptized in 2000 during Pr. Mark Finley’s campaign conducted here in Port Moresby, he is backslidden. This is my work to help this brother, and also others around me, through the influence of the Holy Spirit. Since praying for the Holy Spirit, for the first time I have handed out Steps to Christ booklets to 2 colleagues. I followed up today, and my female colleague has completed and wants to read another book, while my male colleague is yet to complete reading. I have them both on my prayer list also. I thank God for the Holy Spirit, and I don’t want to be a lukewarm adventist. I am so excited to read and share Jesus with all I come in contact with. I think I may soon change my career as Im struggling to incorporate my new found love for Jesus in my daily life. I.M. 090518 #142
143. God takes the willing and make them able
I want to thank you for sharing the testimony on how the Steps to Personal Revival book came into existence! Our God is an amazing God! He does unthinkable and unimaginable things in our lives and others as we make ourselves available to Him. He takes the willing and makes them able! Have been experiencing it in my life for several years now, more clearly so in the last few, because I am looking for it and saying yes to Him more!
When I have a bit more time I will share my personal testimony with you regarding your book! Have read it twice now, instrumental in experiencing the Holy Spirit more in my life every day! EE100317 ü.L.J #143
144. How is this message not being told to us in 30 years?
O”I want to thank You so very much for stopping by and bringing this book! I’ve read the first 2 chapters so far and it’s already completely changed the way I look at the bible and Christian experience. I have been praying for this for months! This was a complete answer to prayer. I am so greatful that I have hope now that it is possible for me to have a relationship with Jesus that I’ve been looking for for so long. I need to get Nana – my grandmother – a copy of this book she has been telling me lately how she’s been enjoying the lesson because she’s always wondered about the Holy Spirit. Been in the church for 30 years and always wondered? How is this message not being told to us? Anyways I’m soo excited to be learning about it now and want to share the good news!”
J.I. ü.L.J. from Australia 100317 #144
145. Liberated from alcohol addiction through prayer
I have already watched many of your programs on Youtube. … I urgently need your help. You said in a video that you had prepared a prayer for an alcoholic that he only had to repeat. As a result, he no longer had a desire. Would it be possible to send me this prayer?
I sent him AndrewLetter 5: Victory over tobacco and alcohol. www.steps-to-personal-revival.info. After a short time he replied:
It helped. The man (dad of 2 children) is now exempt from alcohol. He made the right decision. Our prayers with the promises were fulfilled. Thanks for your support. Thank you for learning to pray with promises.
T.K. EE281019-7.09 # 145